Nutrition therapy for diabetes Mellitus
Diabetes mellitus is a group of metabolic disorders characterized by high blood glucose concentrations resulting from defects in insulin secretion, insulin action or both.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Diabetes is diagnosed and classified based on the results of appropriate medical and laboratory tests. After an extensive review of the literature and improved standardization of the assay in 2009, the Expert Committee on Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus approved the use of the A1C test for diagnosing diabetes mellitus. The classification of diabetes mellitus includes four clinical classes.
- type 1 diabetes type of diabetes that usually occurs in persons younger than 30 years of age but can occur at any age; previously known as insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) or juvenile-onset diabetes
- type 2 diabetes type of diabetes usually occurs in persons older than 30 years of age, previously known as noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or maturity-onset diabetes; now also frequently diagnosed in youth and young adults
gestational diabetes mellitus:
Any degree of glucose intolerance with onset or first recognition during pregnancy. It occurs in 7% of all pregnant women, resulting in more than 200,00 cases annually. Gestational diabetes mellitus is usually diagnosed during the second and third trimester of pregnancy. At this point, insulin antagonist hormone levels increase and insulin resistance normally occurs.
Treatment for diabetes mellitus:
The goals for the treatment of diabetes are
- maintain blood glucose within a fairly normal range
- achieve optimal blood lipid level
- control blood pressure
- support health and well being
- treat complications
- Workout acceptable goals for managing the disease through accurate assessment and monitoring of the person’s diet physical activity and health status.
- Plan and adjust therapy based on medical needs, motivation level, educational ability and lifestyle.
- Successful diabetes education takes time and must be flexible to accommodate the changing needs.
- Low glycemic index diet
- Fiber-rich diet
- Healthy carbohydrate
- Good fats
- Controlled sodium intake
- Avoid alcohol consumption
WE’RE HERE TO HELP YOU
REHABCURE is a Physiotherapy, Nutrition, Speech therapy, Psychology, and Rehabilitation outpatient setting to provide Comfortable and Quality services to Patients, Clients, and Organizations.
If you are in need of these services, our experienced and skilled best Nutritionist in Lahore will ensure you get back to the activities you enjoy.
Call us at +92 336 2003567 for an appointment today.