Difference between Toothache and Jaw Pain
Whether it’s sharp and sudden or dull and constant, tooth pain is hard to ignore. Tooth pain in or around the tooth may be caused due to a variety of reasons. It generally is a referred pain, unlike the temporomandibular joint.
A toothache may cause by a variety of reasons and some of the reasons are listed below:
- Dental infection
- Irritation of the nerve in the root of the tooth or around the tooth
- Inflammation of the central portion of the tooth is called
the pulp. (pulpitis)
- Grinding of the teeth during sleep can cause destruction of
- Dental cavities
- Sensitive tooth
- Pain while chewing
- Bleeding or discharge from or around the tooth or gums
- Bad breath and swelling
- Fever and swollen glands
- Fillings in case of cavities and root canal therapy
- Antibiotics in case of fever and swelling
Jaw Pain (Temporomandibular Joint):
Jaw pain is one of the common pain that most people around the globe experience at least once in their lifetime but it is still not completely understood. Jaw pain mostly refers to the temporomandibular joint or otherwise commonly known as the jaw joint. Unlikely the toothache it is not a referred pain but either originates in the joint region or can be a cause of heart problems. Here are some of the reasons that induce jaw pain:
- Osteonecrosis of the joint
- Swollen tooth
- Trauma to the joint
- Over biting
- Infection in the joint
- Heart diseases
Jaw Pain Symptoms: following are the symptoms of TMJ
- Facial pain worsens when the person uses their jaw.
- Joint and muscle tenderness.
- A limited range of motion.
- Jaw alignment issues.
- Clicking or popping sounds when opening or closing the jaw.
- Ringing in the ears.
- Headaches with or without ear pain and pressure behind the eyes.
Toothache Jaw Pain
Mostly referred Mostly jaw originated
Pulpitis can occur Osteonecrosis may occur
No back and neck aches Back and neck aches occur
No over biting occurs
No Symptoms of jaw locking,
difficulty in sneezing & yawn
Jaw locking, difficulty in
sneezing and yawn