Table of Contents
It is a genetic problem in children with a difference in cell numbers and an extra chromosome 21.
The cognitive ability and physical growth of the baby can be affected by down syndrome.
What Causes Down Syndrome?
- Down syndrome can be developed by many factors, but mostly occurs in females with older age. At 35 to 40 ages of pregnant women, there is a chance of 1 down syndrome baby in 100 babies.
- At age of 25, the incidence can be 1 baby in 1250 babies.
- In the human body, all cells contain genes with a special coding or for making the cells. Calls have a nucleus chromosomes are in the nucleus and these genes are in the chromosomes.
- 46 chromosomes are typically in a cell, 23 from the father and 23 from the mother.
- Down syndrome comes when there is a copy of chromosome 21.
Are Looking for?
Down Syndrome Treatment in Pakistan
Down syndrome treatment in Pakistan is available at RehabCure. Down syndrome children need a good educational environment to fulfill their place in society and sometimes more help to make progress.
Book an appointment now. 03362003567
- Down syndrome does not transfer from parent to child and does not have inherited characteristics.
- It is because of genes themselves and errors occur between sperm and egg.
- The genetics and rare diseases information center notes that there is a maximum chance of having more down syndrome babies if the parents have a balanced translocation means genetic rearrangement.
It has three main types,
Occurs in children with 47 chromones and the real number of it is 46. There is a problem in the cell itself when the cell reproduces itself called nondisjunction which is the main cause of trisomy 21.
Mosaic Down syndrome:
These children have an extra copy of chromosome 21.
In this type, the features depend upon copies can be 2 or 3 copies.
Translocation Down syndrome:
Occurs in children when a side of chromosome 21 detached and attach to other chromosomes like chromosome 14.
- Slant eyes
- Fold skin on the upper eyelid inner corner
- White color spot on the iris
- Muscle tone is low
- Short neck
- Small stature
- Nasal bridge is flat
- Creases across center of palm
- Protrude tongue
- Hands and feet are small
Any organ or body system can be affected. A congenital Heart defect is present in about 40-60 % of people with down syndrome.
- Loss of hearing
- Congenital hypothyroidism
- Cataracts (vision disorder)
- Muscle tone decrease
Infection in down syndrome children
- Infection in respiratory system
- Infection in middle ear
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Most types of cancer
- Hardening in arteries
The parents with more chances of giving birth to down syndrome child can give test of screening and test of diagnostic.
Doctors will perform to categories of tests.
- Prenatal screening
- Diagnostic tests
Probability of having a baby with down syndrome is estimated by parental screening by explain other tests but cannot confirm down syndrome properly.
Diagnostic tests can give the real result of having down syndrome or a certain abnormality.
For the accuracy of down syndrome diagnostic tests are performed.
These tests are performed inside the uterus.
These diagnostic tests will show risk of:
- Preterm labor
- damage of fetal
- Chorionic villus sampling
In this test, injection is placed into the abdomen and cervix to get a part of the placenta for diagnostic purposes at 9th-11th weeks of gestation.
In this test, an injection needle is placed into the abdomen to get apart from amniotic fluid for analysis at 14th-18th weeks of gestation.
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling
In this test the doctor inserts an injection needle placed in abdomen to see a part of blood from umbilical cord for diagnostic purposes after 20th week of gestation.
Down syndrome can be diagnosed by health care professionals after birth by inspecting:
- Tissue inspection
- Physical characteristics
Down Syndrome Treatment
Specific treatment of down syndrome is not yet confirmed.
Early intervention is recommended by Child Health and human development.
The special program increases the power and makes them ready to show themselves in the community.
A team of specialized doctors can improve encouragement and provide stimulation to children as they grow.
- Physical therapist
- Special educators
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Social workers
In public or specialized schools’ children with developmental difficulties and specific learning are eligible for educational support.
Down syndrome children need a good educational environment to fulfill their place in society and sometimes more help to make progress.
Down Syndrome Treatment in Lahore
RehabCure is providing down syndrome treatment in Lahore. We are always ready to help you. We want to see children healthy and happy.
Call Now: 03362003567