The term medicinal plant is used in herbalism( herbology and herbal medicine ).
Herbs refer to any part of the plant like fruit, seed, stem, bark, flowers, leaf, stigma or root as well as non-Woody plants. According to WHO around 21,000 plant species have the potential for being used as medicinal plants. About three-quarters of the world’s population relies on plants and plant extracts for their health.
Name of the Medicinal Plants:
Such as Aloe, tulsi, neem, turmeric, and ginger are used in several common home remedies in many countries. These plants also include: Garlic, Ginger, Aloe Vera, ginkgo, lavender, sage, Feverfew, valerian, liquorice, milk thistle, goldenseal, winter cherry, basil, perforate st JOhn`s wort, Amla, coriander, Centella Asiatics, cardamom, long pepper.
Treatment with herbal plants is considered very safe as there are no side effects. These remedies are in sync with nature which is the biggest advantage. The golden fact is that the use of herbal treatment is independent of sexes. In many parts of the world, it is presented to the Kings as a symbol of luck. Apart from medicinal use herbal plants are also used as natural dyes, pest control, food, perfume, tea and so on …
Medicinal plants are an important source of pharmaceutical manufacturing.
Extract Medicinal Plants:
There are various traditional methods to extract medicinal plants.
Aloe Vera Benefits | Aloe Vera Uses for Face
5 Best Tips To Improve Digestion
How Much Water Should We Drink During Cold and Summer?
Diseases Cured by Medicinal Plants:
- AMLA: in vitamin C deficiency, Cough, Diabetes, Cold, Laxative, Hyperacidity.
- ASHOK: Menstrual pain, Uterine disorders, diabetes.
- ASHWAGANDHA: Tonic stress, nerve disorders.
- BAEL / BILVA: Diarrhoea, dysentery.
- BHUMIAMLA: Anaemic, jaundice, dropsy.
- BRAHMI: memory loss.
- CHIRAITA: Skin diseases, burning sensation, fever.
- GUDMAR: Diabetes, asthma.
- GUGGUL: Rheumatoid arthritis, paralysis, laxative.
- GULUCHI: Gout, piles, fever, jaundice.
- CALIHARI: Skin diseases, labour pain, abortion.
- Black pepper, cinnamon, myrrh, red aloe, burdock, and safflower are used in healing wounds and boils.
- Basil seed, fennel, apple mint, and rosemary, are important medicinal herbs and can be planted in the kitchen garden.
- Herbal plants are used as blood purifiers known as blood cleansers. Improve immunity And eliminate toxins and reduce fever.
- They also have antibiotic properties. Tumeric is useful in inhibiting the growth of germs, harmful microbes and bacteria. It is widely used in wound and cut healing.
- Antipyretic herbs such as CHIRAITA, black pepper, sandalwood and safflower are recommended.
- Sandalwood is used in arresting the discharge of blood and mucus etc.
- Some herbal plants neutralise the acid produced by the stomach. Herbs such as marshmallow roots and leaves are antacid. The healthy gastric acid needed for proper digestion is retained by herbs.
- Indian sags were act as remedial plants against poison for animals and snake bites.
- Cardamon and coriander are known as appetizer herbs.
- Aromatic herbs are peppermint, cloves and turmeric adding a pleasant aroma to the food and increasing the taste.
- Some herbal plants like aloe, sandal, wood turmeric and sheet ray Hindi are antiseptic and have high demand.
- Ginger and cloves used in cough syrup has the expectorant property to eject mucus from tracheae, bronchi and bronchioles.
- Chamomile, Calamus, ajwain, basil, chrysanthemum, fennel, and spearmint are good for promoting blood circulation and use as cardiac stimulators.
- Medicinal herbs and plants destroy disease-causing agents. They also inhibit the growth of pathogenic microorganisms that cause communicable diseases.
- Calmative herbs provide a soothing effect and use as sedatives.
- Golden seal, barberry, and CHIRAITA used as mild Tonic has a bitter taste and destroys infectious agents.
- Some herbal plants are stimulators used to activate systems and organs.
- Herbs included Giloe, camphor and guggul used for nutritional rejuvenation of a healthy as well as diseased individual.
- Honey, turmeric marshmallows and liquorice can affectively treat fresh cuts and wounds. They are termed as vulnerary herbal plants.
We are moving away from nature, while we cannot escape from nature.
We are a part of nature. Natural medicinal herbs are free from side effects, eco–friendly and locally available. There are herbs related to different seasons. By promoting their growth in the kitchen garden, we got a lot of health benefits from these herbal plants. There is a need to promote them to save human lives.
Thanks for reading.